Turl Cricket Quiz (part 1) – the answers
The answers to Dave Barclay’s 1-11 cricket quiz (part 1):
1. Who is the only cricketer to have captained both the Gentlemen and the Players?
2. Australians hold the record for most Test runs scored at two grounds in England and Wales. Name both grounds and both batsmen.
Don Bradman at Headingley
Clem Hill at Sheffield
3. Derbyshire’s T20 team has had three nicknames. What are they?
Falcons, Scorpions, Phantoms
4. Four men have taken more than one Test hat-trick. Who are they?
Hugh Trumble v Eng 1902, 1904
Jimmy Matthews v SA 1912 (same match)
Wasim Akram v SL 1999
Stuart Broad v Ind 2011, v SL 2014
5. Which five left-arm bowlers have taken the most Test wickets for the West Indies?
Garry Sobers (235), Alf Valentine (139), Pedro Collins (106), Suleiman Benn (72), Bernard Julien (50)
6. Six different bank teams have won either the Quaid-e-Azam trophy or the Patron’s Trophy in Pakistani domestic cricket. Name them.
United, Habib, Allied, National, Industrial Development, Agricultural Development
7. Seven cricketers have captained the England men’s ODI team, but not the Test team. Who are they?
Morgan, Stuart Broad, Collingwood, Adam Hollioake, Thorpe, Gifford, Knott
8. When Bob Willis bowled England to victory at Headingley in 1981, Graeme Wood was caught behind off Botham, Border was bowled by Old and Alderman was not out. Who were the eight Australians Willis dismissed?
Dyson, Trevor Chappell, Hughes, Yallop, Marsh, Bright, Lawson, Lillee
9. Lara scored 400 in a Test match. There are nine first class scores higher than this. What are they and who scored them?
Lara 501, Hanif 499, Bradman 452, Nimbalkar 443, Ponsford 437, Ponsford 429, Aftab Baloch 428, McLaren 424, Hick 405
10. Ten Grahams or Graemes have played Test cricket for England. Who are they?
Roope, Barlow, Gooch, Dilley, Stevenson, Fowler, Hick, Thorpe, Swann, Onions
11. Which eleven words (excluding “of”) comprised Ranji’s full title at the time of his death?
Colonel His Highness Shri Sir Ranjitsinghji Vibhaji Maharajah Jam Sahib of Nawagar